Frequently Asked Questions about Our
Post and Beam Timber Framed Kits
All of our kits, whether for garages, carports or a garage with room above have been designed for easy installation.
They can be put together by someone experienced at DIY. However, we would recommend the support of a carpenter or builder with an understanding of timber frame buildings.
Most people set their timber frame buildings on a concrete slab base but 400 x 400 concrete pads are also acceptable.
Do discuss this with your builder and make sure the foundations, if required, are in line with any local building regulations.
Benfield Timber Buildings' general guide to planning requirements can be downloaded here.
The planning process typically takes up to eight weeks from application so do make sure you leave enough time. We can supply full-scale drawings for submission with your application. Give us a call for further information.
Post and beam structure:
- Fixed post bases for main garage/carport and adjustable post bases for log store and external staircases, complete with masonry anchors as required by engineering to foundations. If there is a plinth wall, then the front posts (garage door posts) will have a fixed post base. All other posts can sit directly on top of plinth.
- All green timber untreated to allow choice of stain.
- 150×150mm Posts.
- 220×100mm Beams.
- 75x175mm Braces.
- Ground Floor Timber Frame - 38mm x 89mm treated softwood wall framing for all walls.
- Non room in roof first floor walls - as ground floor.
- Room in Roof first floor walls 38mm x 89mm treated softwood wall framing plus Osb Sheathing and breather membrane.
- Where cladding is provided, then 50x25mm battens are supplied.
- Cladding as selected.
- If Room in Roof – 45x220mm C24 floor joists & 18mm OSB floor deck as per engineering requirements.
- Roof rafters – 45x220mm C24 cut rafters or prefabricated roof trusses (trusses tend to be timber frame only projects). Dormers, collar ties, hip, or valley boards as per roof design.
- 9mm OSB sarking for restraint (no under roof bracing – upon request only and in place of sarking board).
- Roofing membrane over sarking board.
- Treated softwood 25mm x 50mm counter-batten over roofing membrane.
- (When selected) Fakro Rooflight – 550x980mm central-pivoting rooflight with matching flashing (roof tile to be specified by client before we can order).
- There is no option for “habitable rooms”. We design and supply a building that can easily be upgraded by the client to habitable standard. Were we to supply such items (insulation, plasterboard etc), it would increase carbon footprint of transport and make it more costly for the client.
- Roof tiles and tiling batten.
- Insulation and VCL.
- Any internal plasterboard or fire-board linings to walls, underside of roof rafter, ceiling joists and floor joists.
For a DIY enthusiast, our quality engineered timber frame building kits for garages, car ports and room above garages are easy to assemble. By providing the kit with simple installation instructions, it allows you to either build the structure yourself or bring in a tradesperson you know and trust.
For the larger projects such as timber frame homes and extensions we can connect you with a reliable installer. By giving you the choice of DIY or bringing in a builder this keeps costs down as the only price you pay to us is for the timber kit or structure.
You can make amendments to the website designs or you can design your own from scratch. If you are designing your own simply send us a copy. We will check it works with our timber buildings system and send you a price.
We deliver to England, Wales and the Scottish lowlands.
For other destinations we may be able to deliver to a port for you to then collect and arrange onward shipping to your destination. You can also arrange to collect from our factory in Wales. Give us a call for further information.